You Are What You…. Think?
What if I told you what you think, how you feel and what you believe can contribute to the pain, soreness and discomfort that shows up in your body?
To some, this is a far-fetched idea. To others, this body-mind connection is easily accepted.
When I work with clients, there are times when the root cause of an ailment can’t always be connected to a physical cause. In these cases, I will often switch my assessment and focus on what is happening in the person’s mind that may be contributing to the physical condition. I will assess what part of the body is being affected, or what worries and stresses are present in a client’s life and go from there. I always ask them to keep an open mind about this approach, and to be completely honest with themselves during the process. Sometimes the truth of what we think can be uncomfortable to uncover especially when it’s negative but in the end when the pain and discomfort is no longer present, it is worth being open and honest.
Here is a brief list of the affected body parts and the corresponding thoughts and emotions that could be the cause:
- Neck: Flexibility in our thinking or others point of view; Being stubborn.
- Shoulders: “Carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders”; Taking on too much responsibility; Carrying our experiences as a burden, instead of joy.
- Arms: The capacity & ability to hold the experiences of life; Embracing the good.
- Throat: Inability to speak up; Not communicating clearly; Swallowed anger; Annoyance; Refusal to change; Stifled creativity.
- Chest/Lungs: Letting go; Fear; Grief; Ability to take in life.
- Stomach/Digestion: Digesting ideas & change; Dread; Fear of the new; Inability to assimilate the new.
- Colon: Ability to let go, to release what we no longer need; Stuck fears; Not going with the flow of life.
- Back: Not feeling supported.
- Upper Back: Feeling a lack of emotional support.
- Mid Back: Guilt; Afraid to see what is ‘back there’; Feeling stabbed in the back.
- Low Back: Financial concerns or worries; Feeling burnt out.
- Hips: Moving forward; Making decisions; Unbalance in life.
- Legs: Carry us forward in life; Fear of the future; Not wanting to move.
- Knees: Our pride & ego; Inability to bend & be flexible; Won’t give in; Fear.
- Feet/Ankles: Represents our understanding – of ourselves, of life, of others.
- Arthritis: Constant pattern of criticism, first of ourselves then of others; The need to feel perfect; Not feeling good enough.
Next time you feel an ache, pain or discomfort in a particular area of your body:
- Check in with your emotions, thoughts and beliefs.
- Be honest with yourself and see if you are triggering this discomfort yourself.
- Use affirmations to re-balance yourself and relieve your ailment. A simple “I choose to no longer think and believe this and I am willing to let these thoughts go…” is good.
- Releasing the negative energy that may be holding this all in place is an effective option. If you are interested in using this approach, book an Intuitive Energy Healing / Reiki session. This service is available both in person and long distance.