As I write this, I am looking out the window to the final setting sun of 2014. It is slowly moving down toward the horizon, a blur of yellows, oranges, pinks being overtaken by the darker blues of approaching nightfall.
I am inspired by the amazing Alexandra Franzen from a recent post she wrote about her year’s highlights.
This motivated me to reflect back on my year to specifically find the good, the great and the magnificent moments that I experienced. In truth, the last half of 2014 was a rough one for me. It was a turbulent time of significant loss. Of loved ones who crossed over to become my guardian angels, and of a 6+ year relationship that finally ran its course to completion. At times it felt there were more tears than smiles, more isolating aloneness than companionship, more darkness than light.
I welcomed the challenge to reflect back and find those nourishing moments that had my heart splitting wide open for all the good reasons. I reminisced over my new and old ‘favourites’ that kept me smiling.
Here is my list of love and joy of 2014:
- South France — warm, artistically quirky, delicious, luxurious, heart feeling at home.
- Being with family for the celebration of love. My brother + sister-in-law tied the knot — It was a beautiful reminder of what love looks like.
- Chance meetings and serendipitous crossing of paths multiple times with a beautiful soul who intrigues me. — He gave me hope, without even realizing it.
- Teaching hundreds of beautiful souls this year – we laughed and played with energy. Not much better than that.
- Deeper conversations with family and friends — they listened, I cried, they assured, I smiled, they gave me their devotion in the form of time. It was different than usual. It was beautiful.
- My creative passions refueled – through pottery and painting.
- Dalai Lama – in person. Inspirational, fulfilling, humbling, in awe.
- Sandy-snouted-beach-loving dog — laughter, playfulness, unconditional love.
- Hiking mountains with one of my best friends, Jen. We talked until our voices were raw. Now that’s friendship.
- Cake. Multiple times, just because. Enough said.
- New friendships were formed. Old friendships were deepened. Friendships that no longer served us faded.
These things topped my favourite charts:
Music on Repeat: Letting Go (Theta) by Christopher Lloyd Clarke – instrumental and soul soothing
Creative Artist: Elspeth McLean – vibrantly stunning paintings, and local west coaster.
Inspiration Talk: Anita Moorjani – on almost dying and finding what unconditional love really means. Watch the video… it will move you.
Show – Modern Family. I laugh out loud every episode.
Gemstone: Turquoise – for protection, peace, intuition, healing.
Random findings – Feathers – they were everywhere for me this year. So I started collecting them.
Spiritual Leader – Doreen Virtue – I really connected with angel and oracle cards.
Quotations: “What you seek is seeking you” – Rumi
“What would love choose?” – me
Despite the numerous hardships that came my way, I feel so very blessed to have many magnificent moments like these to make me smile and laugh.
What were some of your highlights this year?