As I was working on my computer today, it started slowing down and taking a loooong time to process every single cilck and command. Being an older computer, this can happen more commonly now that it is rather full and always being used, at least 6-10 hours daily.
At a point of extreme frustration watching the ‘I’m thinking’ icon swirl around and around for the past 5 minutes, I realized the best thing I could do in that moment was to shut it down, allow it to have a long slow deep breath, and restart it again.
Amazingly, with the fresh start it worked much quicker and more efficiently after the ReBoot.
I continued on with my project with ease, calm and happiness and once again able to be productive and get through my long to-do list.
It began to dawn on me: We humans are a lot like a computer.
We run slower and less productively when:
- We have a lot of programs running at the same time (too many to-dos, multi tasking and responsibilities on the go).
- We are running at full capacity and haven’t deleted unnecessary files or re-organized our schedules, work spaces or homes in a long time.
- We are using our hardware (bodies) daily yet haven’t taken preventative measures to ensure longevity, or allow them to have a break from the daily grind.
- Our software (minds, thoughts & beliefs) need an upgrade to stay fresh and efficient.
- We never take time to ‘shut down, turn off’ and ReBoot.
So when was the last time you took time to ReBoot yourself?
Shut down for an afternoon, evening or full day and give yourself a rest from life, work, responsibilities and “the to-do list”.
You’ll be more productive in the days ahead and to the people who count on you.
I promise: You are worth waiting for. The world will wait for you to rest, restore and rejuvenate.
Shut down. Deep Breathe. Relax. Restore and then Restart.